Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Astigmatism

I never could imagine myself having an eye defect like this so called astigmatism.. at the age of 22 i already wear glasses for the sake of treating my eyes. Wearing glasses has never been part of my wish list or even take it as a fashion. Seeing myself in the mirror wearing one has never been cool for me, i look older than my age and much mature.

Thanks to my Ophthalmologist Dr. Bonita, i was really convinced to wear a pair of glasses, i just want my eyes to be well again. Before my eyes had been checked i suffer from constant headaches, eye strains, slightly blurred visions , and most of the time i feel nauseous.

What exactly is Astigmatism?

According to an article from wisegeek.com, Astigmatism is a condition of the human eye which causes either blurred vision or a sense that each eye is seeing objects slightly differently. Astigmatism is not a vision problem, but a structural problem with the eye. The human eye is usually shaped in a sphere, like a ball, but with astigmatism, the cornea of the eye is curved instead into an oval shape, more like a football. When the eye is not curved properly, or has uneven curves like a football, light will not travel in and out of the eye normally. Astigmatism causes light to bounce unevenly off the flat and steep curves of the oval shaped eye, thus allowing light to more than one point in the eye. This impairs focusing ability, causing blurred vision.

Glasses or contact lenses can be prescribed to treat astigmatism, but they generally do not correct the condition. Often, two different lenses will help the eyes focus together, thus offsetting the uneven focusing caused by astigmatism. Astigmatism, however, can be corrected with surgery. Lasik and astigmatic keratotomy are two commonly used surgeries for astigmatism. The object of surgery is to reshape the cornea of the eye and make it more spherical.



So my friend, take care of those good pair of eyes. If any symptoms exist then i suggest you see your eye doctor. SEE the world well!

No comments: